Clomid has an anti-estrogen, non-steroidal structure. Its effect is achieved due to specific binding to estrogen receptors of the ovaries and pituitary gland. With a low estrogen rate in the body, it exhibits a moderate estrogenic effect, with a high rate, it provides an antiestrogenic effect. In small doses, it enhances the secretion of gonadotropins (prolactin, FSH and LH), stimulates ovulation. In large doses, it inhibits the secretion of gonadotropins. It has no gestagenic and androgenic properties.
Indications for use
Clomid is used for infertility: anovulatory infertility (ovulation induction), dysfunctional metrorrhagia, amenorrhea, secondary amenorrhea, post-contraceptive amenorrhea, galactorrhea (on the background of a pituitary tumor), polycystic ovary syndrome (Stein-Quariel syndrome), androgen deficiency, oligospermia, disorders of the pituitary gonadotropic function.
Mode of application
Clomid to stimulate ovulation is prescribed at 50 mg once a day before bedtime, starting from day 5 of the menstrual cycle. The therapy duration is 5 days.
In the absence of effect (ovulation does not occur within 30 days), increase the dose to 150 mg/day or extend the therapy course to 10 days. The course dose should not exceed 1 g.
The ovulation is determined by the presence of a biphasic basal temperature, the average cyclic increase in LH production, the growth of serum progesterone during a middle phase of luteinization or during menstrual bleeding in women with amenorrhea.
If ovulation takes place, but there is no pregnancy, then you should repeat taking the same dose at the next treatment course. If, after ovulation, menstrual bleeding has not started, the possibility of pregnancy should be taken into account. This possibility should be excluded before a new treatment course.
Men are prescribed 50 mg 1-2 times a day for 3-4 months (systematic monitoring of semen analysis is necessary).
- The nervous system: dizziness, headache, drowsiness, slowing down the speed of mental and motor reactions, depression, increased irritability, insomnia.
- The digestive system: nausea, vomiting, gastralgia, flatulence, diarrhea.
- Allergic reactions: rarely – rash, allergic dermatitis, vasomotor disorders.
- Еhe genitourinary system: rarely – polyuria, increased urination, pain in the lower abdomen, dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia, an increase in the ovary size (including cystic).
- Other: increase in body weight, face flushing, rarely – a decrease in visual acuity, alopecia, painful mammary glands.
- Symptoms of overdose are nausea, vomiting, face flushing, visual impairment.
- Treatment: drug withdrawal (overdose symptoms disappear on their own).
Contraindications to the use of the drug Clomid are:
- liver and/or renal failure;
- metrorrhagia of unclear etiology;
- ovarian cysts;
- neoplasms of the genital organs;
- tumor or hypofunction of the pituitary gland;
- ovarian failure with hyperprolactinemia;